21.7.11

Cooper and Heilmann.

So far this Summer I've learned that Sex and the City and Twin Peaks have one amazing thing in common.

Kyle MacLachlan.

Similar to detective special agent Cooper, my trip to California has been filled with mysterious events and even more mysterious imaginings of art and painting.

Lately I've been captivated by Mary Heilmann, a painter whose 1999 excerpt from 'Looking at Pictures' found it's way into my painting book. She describes the mystery of looking and deciphering, "This is the front. That's behind. No, that's the front and this is the background. That's an edge. No it's a line. That's a space. No, it's a thing. Round and round, and over and over." There is just so much to consider when looking.



Also in 1999 she had an interesting interview with Ross Bleckner about painting. "RB Do you always get feelings from paintings?MH Well, if I’m passing one and I happen to get a rush from it, then I spend some time with it. I try to figure out how it works. It helps me with my work."

How and what specifically reminds us of something we understand? I'm interested in the smallest of clues, and how they create the largest meanings. Cooper's murder mystery is full of these small symbols that lead the way to a grand finale where evil is a long haired man named Bob looming in the visions of various people, including himself.



I'll be deciphering the mystery of her painting, while collecting the clues from my trip here, curious about which ones will make it to my work.

Now, I'm off to Washington D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment