25.5.12

The Guggenheim

The other day I was thinking, I've been in New York for about 9 months, and I haven't been to the Guggenheim yet. So I decided to go.
Of course I decided this when there was no main exhibition, which I learned makes the museum half price. It was  neat to see them packing and taking down all of John Chamberlain's huge sculptures.  The Guggenheim, as round as ever. 
The lack of a main exhibition takes the pressure off of trying to see everything. You have, everything else to see, without a main distraction.  So I got cozy watching films from their Being Singular Plural Exhibition. Of course there was no photography, but I found some stills from the internet.
This film by Desire Machine Collective was very calming but intense at the same time. The paragraph of information about the collective said their intention was about our, "complicated relationship with violence and societal control that transforms abstract sensory images into stand ins for repressed fantasies and fear." HMM.
Then I saw some amazing photos by Francesca Woodman. Her name decal was done in this really great font. I thought Fisk would have liked it had he been there. Then I spent some time walking in circles looking at old pals: Van Gogh, Manet, Gauguin, Braque, Cezanne, Pissarro, Rosseau, Suerat, Picasso and Toulous-Latrec.
Pretty sure this was my favorite artwork of the day. Look at that lobster, he's about to kill that cat. So good.  Picasso<3

No comments:

Post a Comment