6.8.12

The Whitney: Sharon Hayes & Yayoi Kusama

When Marc and I arrived at the Whitney we were met with a long line. This line resulted in admittance to the museum as well as a 3:20 pm time slot for Kusama's Fireflies on the Water. We both declined the time slot (it was more than 3 hours away) and continued through the rest of the museum floors.

The third floor was the only floor that photos were allowed, so I am able to bring to you my collection of images surrounding Sharon Hayes's There's So Much I Want to Say to You. This show is one that demonstrates the politics of desire through various video and performance works while maintaining a consistent aesthetic of protest signs, small stages, and other politically symbolic constructions. The photos below reflect the overall look and diversity of the work.






The piece that I enjoyed most was a line of projected faces that were describing or explaining a situation or place but, without sound. The moderate sound of emotive protest speeches from other works in the room carried you easily into a space of understanding that these people were talking about something that mattered deeply to them. The emotions on their faces solidified the assumption.



Another favorite was the poster below, which reflected the ultimate sacrifice that love can demand of us, the lack of our freedom, turning the most precious of emotions into a political act of sorts.


The 4th floor headliner lived up to the hype by carefully and thoughtfully displaying a lifetime of works from Yayoi Kusama, though I wish I had some photos to show for it. I would like to see Kusama's paintings again simply because they were so enjoyable and engaging to look at. Marc and I were both most impressed by her ability to create depth while using seemingly flat painting strategies. I'll leave you with a picture of Yayoi and a recommendation to see the show.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, I plan to go there this Sunday. Do you have any idea how early I should go in order to get the ticket to "Fireflies on the Water"? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete