13.9.12

yeah we friends and shit @ Josée Bienvenu Gallery


Kirk Hayes

Devin Troy Strother


Julianne Swartz

Austin Eddy

This group show felt very whimsical and fun.  These works utilize their materiality in a way that reminds me of childhood, there doesn't seem to be pressure to make anything perfect, and it makes the environment welcoming. The sculpture by Julianne Swartz was the most interesting, simply because it's fascinating any time something appears to be floating without any support (magic!). I would be interested to see what else can be done with those magnets, especially the precariousness and magical undertones of that material were used to create meaning more directly.






Ken Solomon

These works were a part of the show also, but felt very different from the rest of the carefree/fun work. I suppose I just don't understand why I'm looking at paintings of computer screens. I understand that technology needs to be addressed, but I believe not this way. Instead of making paintings about technology, one might find it more relevant to make work from the technology itself. Works like this have an "outside looking in" view of technology, which really doesn't tell me anything about the technology itself. On top of that, the google searches of Pop Art feels like bait, and I'm not convinced that it's good simply because Lichtenstein is in the search bar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment