26.11.12

Art on the Internet.

I'll be the first to admit that there is a lot about artwork that is meant to be viewed online that I need to learn more about. Thank goodness for New Museum. They're having a series of shows, "New Museum's First Look: New Art Online Series", yeah.  They are showing 7 years of paperrad.org (on their website of course) and suddenly all my questions about why young artists had annoying colored sites with enough flashing vibrancy to give someone with epilepsy a seizure is explained! Hurrah.  All sarcasm aside I really am looking forward to seeing what New Museum is eating up and why. I love learning. 



This is an online only exhibition. This exhibition about the multi faceted and ever changing interface of paperrad.org seems like a good start. I liked most of the description except this, "Visitors were only able to track the identities of participating members through deep research, which lent the site a mysterious and open feel, as if Paper Rad could be as small as one person or as large as a thriving subculture." There is a good chance that I'm in the dark - so forgive this comment if that's the case- but I hardly think that interface lent the site to a open feel.  I think the majority of people would feel the opposite, unless you were part of the small genre of people who can get past the color rape of your eyes and navigate through. I'm sure it's very rewarding with practice, and can only imagine the joy of finding and knowing your way around. The art world is exclusive as it is, and this small genre of tech savvy artists - even more exclusive.


On the bright side, I did some exploring on  http://rhizome.org/ which I had previously known little about. I'll be spending a lot of my time in the next few weeks really checking out and catching up on a lot of art that I haven't seen.  I'll probably feel differently about Paper Rad's interface after more exploring.


OKAY. This video is awesome... 

No comments:

Post a Comment