21.7.13

Anderson Ranch with Dani Tull

Last Sunday I flew to Colorado to study a week long intensive about Unconventional Aesthetics with Dani Tull.   I had no idea what to expect other than I was going to have fun, relax, and make some new friends.  My experiences have far outweighed my expectations in every way.  So, here for you, is one giant Anderson Ranch mega post.




Snowmass was beautiful. The weather was mid 60's to 80's without a smidgen of humidity.  A great Summer temperature, which made it easy to enjoy the sunrise and set of each day.  The shared dorms had very comfortable beds, with a shared private bath.  Having all three meals a day prepared was excellent, the food was healthy and diverse, mostly just delicious.   It also created an excellent opportunity for all members of the Ranch to hang out and discuss what they were up to in their own classes.  I can't express how wonderful it was to be around a community where people were not afraid to be kind to each other. 















Our assignments were varied, challenging, and fun.  We learned  a lot. About art that Alien abductees made upon their return, as well as listened to believable accounts of Alien sightings.  Made work that embodied what an experience with an other being would be like.  Read a short handout by Terence McKenna & participated in a fun mystery game.  Learned about Shamanic ceremonial art of the Shipibo and Huichol. Made sigils that we forgot, so the symbols could fall into our subconscious.  Learned about the art of healer Emma Kunz & made pendulums to access the edges of our own consciousness.  We were exposed to the talented world of Prison art and made work with limited resources.  Studied the Source Family & Damanhur in Italy, which were both endlessly curious and dynamic.  Anderson Ranch had two lunchtime guest lecturers on Thursday and Friday, Hernan Bas & Bill Viola - both were interesting and thought provoking, though I can't help but favor Hernan's work. 


My favorite part of the week was the Holotropic Breathwork meditation ceremony that Dani led.  This simple and controlled breathing exercise was a beautiful and refreshing experience.  I regret that I had not participated in such an experience before.  I can't speak for everyone, but for me it was incredible to leave the tiny details that normally flood my brain with miscellaneous anxieties far behind.  It's something I'll never forget and with luck, will find an opportunity to do again in the future.  Once the ceremony was over, this tiny moth landed right into the candle wax.  













Some of the most memorable moments were after hours.  It was such a pleasure to meet and get to know everyone in our class.  Playing games with them, talking about art, learning about their goals and practices was so enlightening.  Dani was kind and thoughtful, courageously open to our thoughts and ideas.  It was an ideal environment to learn about art and ourselves.  Friday night before our departure on Saturday morning, we all hung out until very early in the morning watching art and music videos on youtube. Hernan Bas was kind enough to join in our fun & I wouldn't trade a night like that for anything. 




In a vast understatement, Anderson Ranch was exactly what I needed and more.  I loved the entire experience.  Feeling lighter from letting go of a lot and heavier in my heart for all the positive experiences had.   I'll be floating on this Rocky Mountain experience for as long as I can, and keep what I've learned close at hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment