14.4.14

Bill Berkson at BHQFU & Jodorowsky's Dune

 I'm posting life events out of order, but who cares?

Arranging tables for Bill.
Yesterday we had Bill Berkson as our guest in Object Lessons (Week #12) and we were assigned to read What's Your Idea of a Good Time? Interviews and Letters 1977 - 1985 by Bill Berkson and Bernadette Mayer.  Honestly, I haven't read much poetry and for me this was an incredible introduction into so many different things.  The book was sincere, engaging, and the amount of authors discussed/mentioned were enough to give some(like me) a very long reading list.  Having Bill in class shed some light on the kind of tone he may have had in his interviews and Bill lead our conversation to a variety of wonderful places like emotional utopias, esthetic principle, painting, the terrific mess of the 60's, and California.  Bill mentioned quote by Baudelaire that I can't stop thinking about:

"Painting is nothing but a construction of ethics."

After class Fisk and I walked quickly across Manhattan to Film Forum to catch Jodorowsky's Dune.  The greatest sci-fi movie you'll never see. 




I love spoilers, very much so.  To me it feels like knowing a secret about a movie before you go, and then am completely gratified during the movie, sitting in satisfaction while everyone else is tensely awaiting the outcome.  As much as I love them, I won't spoil this amazing documentary.  I can only say that if you love Holy Mountain you'll love this documentary.  My favorite quote in the movie: 

"When you make a picture, you must not respect the novel.  It's like you get married, no? You go with the wife; you take the woman.  If you respect the woman, you will never have child.  You need to open the costume... and to rape the bride.  And then you will have your picture.  I was raping Frank Herbert! But with love." 
Then later that night this happened: 
Then I had a dream that Fisk and I went to Tokyo. The End. 

No comments:

Post a Comment