4.10.14

NU MURAL: Room 406!



Painting for 4 days in a row definitely has its challenges. Normally when I paint I have time to take breaks, consider options and live life - each of those being important components in finishing a work of art. Mural work is different in that it requires a set plan, then the space can sometimes dictate the terms, and you have a limited amount of time to work with. 


Before getting started I was really excited about painting this mural. Once I started painting, the amount of work this would take really hit me. After about 5 hours in, it was smooth sailing. At hour 35, I was pretty much over it in every way. Pushing through the last few hours is always the most difficult because you already have the mural finished in your mind and you're just ready to take a long break. 

I love my level.

Under painting and background started!





After I finished I was super relieved that it was over.  Cleaning everything up felt great and I couldn't wait to go home and sleep in my own bed. (The beds at NU are so comfortable though!) Now that it's been over 24 hour since I've finished, I'm finally able to appreciate the work that was done.  It's always fun to look back and see how much time and effort was put into creating a lasting work of art. 


Nu Hotel will be taking professional photos of the mural later on, as well there will be an opening in late October where people can come check out my mural and the recent murals of a few other artists.  All in all it was a lot of fun and I can't wait for another opportunity to paint a mural again. Funny enough, this time last year I was painting a mural in room 424 at the Ace Hotel in Midtown. 

As always - MANY and ALL the thank you's to Fisk for being so supportive during the entire process. When it comes to painting day after day, I need great company to keep me going - and he was definitely the most amazing company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment